Saturday, January 28, 2006

A Trip to Wal-Mart

As I walked by the check-out aisle I noticed a lady sitting next to a demo table. I started a conversation (asking how many she had sold) and we chatted for a while. I gave her a tract and a ten commandment coin, and we began working through the commandments. Another Wal-Mart employee showed up (she was going to take over the demo table for the other lady) and all three of us discussed the commandments. Both of them had a Christian background but neither was living for the Lord. Both understood the basics of salvation, but their walk with the Lord was questionable. In fact, one of them believed a person could be “saved” – but not quite yet “delivered” from sin. A lot of our discussion focused on repenting and obeying – along with the tests for salvation in I John. We talked about a person being securely in Jesus’ hands when they are saved – and that NO ONE can take them out of the Lord’s hand. We talked quite a bit about false converts, and how many of Jesus’ parables dealt with false converts (the wheat and the tares, the sheep and the goats, the soil, etc.). Considering the one lady wasn’t attending church and wasn’t reading her Bible, I encouraged her to seriously consider her salvation. I asked if I were to give her a Bible – would she read it? She surprised me by saying she would. I showed her how the chain of Scriptures that deal with salvation work, bent down the page that starts the chain of Scriptures, and also wrote that page number in the front. I gave both of them the more detailed “Are You Good Enough to Go To Heaven?” tracts – and then moved on.

The jewelry counter was next – a watch battery needed to be replaced. I talked with the worker behind the counter as she replaced the battery, and after awhile I gave her a Million Dollar Bill tract and we began through the good person test. She wasn’t quite as open as some, but was still receptive. After a minute or two, the phone rang and she had to go over to the Shoe Department to look something up for a customer. We had almost finished the “bad news” portion of the gospel – so I summarized the rest quickly and encouraged her to get a Bible and seek the Lord with her whole heart.

It didn’t take long to find the rest of the items I needed, and I was glad that the lines weren’t long. As I checked out I gave the checker a Titanic tract – for which he thanked me.

While I was paying, a checker in the next line over said “Aren’t you the guy with the million dollar bills?” I said I was – and asked if she had one. She did.

When I was done paying for my purchases, I stopped over at her register and asked if she accepts large bills. She said they do, and I said I had one for her. I pulled out the Giant Thousand Dollar Bill Tract and she was excited. I again pointed out the gospel on the back and she turned it over and started reading it. A mother and her 11 year-old daughter were just finishing up paying and the mother said she’d be interested in one of those. I said that was all I had, but I did have some Million Dollar Bills. She was even more excited about the Million Dollar Bill – and her daughter wanted one as well. I also gave the daughter an IQ test.

The checker with the Giant Thousand Dollar Bill tract was interested in our church information – and I shared that the tracts are about getting right with God and not attending church – that a person can attend church all their life and still spend eternity in hell. She readily agreed. I did share the time our church meets – but, again, encouraged her that the real issue is a person’s heart.

The “problem” with Sharing Christ while doing routine errands is that routine errands take quite a bit longer – but what better way is there for spending our time?

No comments: