Saturday, December 10, 2005

Saturday Lunch service at a Homeless Shelter

Went to the homeless shelter for a service today. About two hours before leaving the brother who was planning on sharing called to say he couldn’t make it. I had already been working on preparing a message for church on Sunday, and the message was looking like a primarily salvation message, so, I said I would share…

The message was focused on salvation, and was very similar to the Biblically-based witnessing method that Ray Comfort teaches. I turned the situation around and focused on my sinfulness and breaking of each commandment, and addressed the various popular methods people try to overcome such guilt (just feel sorry, try to do better, and hope your good works will overcome your sin).

Afterwards, while the men eat lunch, we walk around the room and try to share with the men. It always seems difficult to start conversations. The food, the weather – we try to use almost any topic to start a conversation. Since we played and sang “Joy to the World” with our instruments, sometimes a person will bring the song up. Anytime a conversation starts our goal is to bring it around to spiritual things. I attempted to have conversations (small talk) with three or four men and it was obvious they didn’t want to talk – so I kept trying.

I then talked with Jerry. I noticed he was wearing a Royals baseball jacket and I asked if he wore the coat even in the off season. He said it was his only coat (which makes sense – it IS a homeless shelter) – and I commented on how I’m always amazed at the difference between baseball games (180+) and football (16), and how I couldn’t understand how the football players get such an “easy” season. I asked him if he was from the area, and then asked what brought him to the Mission (trying to transition the conversation to spiritual issues). He’s recently been released from prison, but will be going back soon for another few months. He is separated from his wife (she is living with another man), and he rarely gets to see his little daughter.

I asked him if he believed in heaven or hell and he said ‘yes’. I asked him if he felt he was a good person, and he said ‘yes’. I asked if he felt he has kept the commandments, and he said ‘yes’. We discussed a few specific commandments and he readily agreed that he had lied, stolen, and lusted (as have I). When I asked him if God judged him based on these commandments if he would be guilty or innocent, he said “guilty”. I then asked him, based upon his guilt, who he spend eternity in heaven or hell – and he said “hell.” I asked him if that concerns him and if he ever thinks about eternity and he said “yes.” I shared with him the good news, and asked if he has a Bible. He said he did, but doesn’t read it much. Turns out the Bible is with his wife, so he doesn’t even have access to it. I asked him if he would read a Bible if I gave him one, and he said he would. I gave him a Soul Winner’s New Testament and showed him the underlined verses and where John was located – encouraging him to read there. We talked about how valuable our eyes are and how we would never sell them, and how much more valuable our souls are – he agreed. He was incredibly open and listened intently while we were talking. I’m praying for his salvation.

I then went back to the platform to check on the others and found they were still waiting for Dad (who was sharing with a gentleman who was rededicating his life to Christ). The room was almost empty, and there were several men working on cleaning the room up. I noticed one man in the back corner, sitting by himself. He seemed to be dressed nicer than the others, and had a cleaner-cut appearance than most. I went back to him (he was just in the process of getting up) and commented on his appearance, his tie, his leather jacket, his suit coat, and said he didn’t seem like most – and asked what had brought him to the shelter. He had lost his job and then his apartment. I asked if he had any family in the area that cared for him and he said ‘no, he had been raised in an orphanage.’ I asked if he had any friends, and he said ‘no’. I commented on how difficult and sad such a life would be – and how spoiled I feel my life has been to be surrounded by love. My goal was to then discuss salvation and introduce him to my Best Friend.

As we talked I asked him if he believed in a heaven and hell, and he said ‘yes’. I asked him if he felt he was a good person, and he said ‘yes’. I asked him if he had kept the commandments, and he said ‘yes’. We then discussed several, lying, stealing, and lusting. I then asked that if God were to judge him based upon those commandments would he be innocent or guilty, and he said ‘innocent’. I said (in love), “John, but you just admitted that you – like myself – are a liar and a thief – how could God say you are innocent when even you know you are guilty?” He said he felt God would forgive him for what he has done. We talked more about our law breaking, guilt, and how asking forgiveness isn’t enough – it is a good thing to do, but doesn’t deal with our past sin. I asked if he had a Bible, and he said he didn’t. When we revisited the subject of being guilty or innocent he did say he would be guilty, and that he was headed for hell. I asked if that concerned him and he said it did. I then asked if I were to give him a Bible would he read it. We had more New Testaments in the car, so I went out, got one, and brought it in for him. I wrote his name in the cover, along with my name and a web site that he could use to contact us. I then asked if I could pray with him and did so. Following that, I said that no one has probably hugged him before but that I would like to give him a hug before leaving – and he said OK. I gave him a hug, shook his hand, and left. I’m praying for John’s salvation.

No comments: