Tuesday, December 13, 2005

First Sharing via the Telephone...

While doing some research for a Christmas gift I called a company to ask a question about a product. Keith answered the phone and was able to quickly answer my question. Once we were done discussing the product I asked him if they were only allowed to discuss “business” on the line, or if I could ask him something else. He said it was fine to talk about other things as well. I asked him if he was a good person and he said “absolutely”. I asked him if it was OK if I asked him a few questions to see if that was true and he said “sure”. I asked about lying (and admitted to doing the same) and he said “yes”, and he also then answered the title of “liar”. I asked about stealing (and admitted to doing the same), and he said “yes”, and he also gave the proper title of thief. I mentioned Jesus’ instruction about looking and lusting being adultery of the heart, and asked him if he had ever looked with lust – and he said “yes”. I asked if he had ever taken God’s name in vain – he wasn’t sure what that was and I said it was using God’s name as a curse word. He said he “had”. I gently shared that, by his own admission, he was a lying, thieving, blaspheming, adulterer at heart and asked if, after he dies, God were to judge him based on those 10 commandments, would he be innocent or guilty. He said innocent, and I said, “But, Keith, you just admitted you were a lying, thieving, blaspheming, adulterer at heart – would you be innocent or guilty”. He then acknowledged that, based upon that standard, he would be guilty. I asked if he would go to heaven or hell, and he said he guessed hell. I asked if that concerned him and he said it did. I then said, “But that is where the good news comes in.” And shared how Jesus had taken all of his punishment, if he would confess and turn from all his sin. I encouraged him to get right with God. We talked about – and he readily agreed – that our eyes are one of the most valuable possessions we have, and yet our soul is far more valuable. He was very open, but at the same time I felt he was ready to move on, so I asked if he had a Bible – he didn’t. I encouraged him to buy one and read the book of John – as it will tell him more about what Jesus did to pay for his sins so he doesn’t have to spend eternity in hell. I thanked him for talking with me, and he said it was good “food for thought”. Please pray for Keith’s salvation.

I ran some errands this afternoon and while checking out at the store I tried to start a conversation with the checker, but she seemed a bit closed. Finally, after swiping my credit card, and while waiting for the verification, I pulled some tracts out of my pocket and asked if anyone had ever given her a gospel tract before. She said “no”, and accepted them. I asked if she ever thinks about heaven and hell and she said “not really”. I encouraged her to consider the seriousness of eternity.

No comments: