Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Dry Cleaner Moved to Tears...

On my way to a business appointment this morning I dropped some dry cleaning off at the cleaners. I chatted with an older lady (Kelly) while she filled out the ticket. We talked about how busy they have been here at the end of the year, and she said they even had to work the day after Christmas. When I was done I handed her a million dollar bill tract and shared that it was a gospel tract.

She was very interested in the tract and turned it over and immediately began to read. I said that it contained something similar to the “Good Person Test” and asked if she had ever taken that test. She said she hadn’t – so I started into it.

In response to my questions: she said she felt she was a good person, she knew the ten commandments, she hadn’t always kept them, she had lied (although at first she shared thought it made her a sinner, but when I asked what she would call me if I told lies – she came up with the word “liar), she had stolen (at first she said she hadn’t, but when I encouraged her to listen to the voice of her conscience and think back – even to her childhood – she shared that she had stolen lipstick), she had blasphemed, and she had murdered. As is often the case, she laughed when I went through the horrible list describing her soul – but became serious when I asked if she would be innocent or guilty before God (she then said “guilty”).

As we discussed the commandments I noticed she had tears in her eyes – and was thrilled to see the Lord at work in her heart.

When I asked whether she would then go to heaven or hell, she said ‘hell’- and after I asked if she was concerned, she said she was.

We talked about the value of her eyes, and how her soul is far more valuable, and that she needs to deal with her sin. I shared that doing good works isn’t what earns salvation (‘polishing the judges car is bribery and will bring more consequences’) and that simply confessing isn’t enough (‘pleading guilty doesn’t remove punishment’). She had a Bible and I encouraged her to read it. Another customer came in about that time, so I left her a “Are You Good Enough to Go to Heaven” tract and encouraged her to read that.

No comments: