Thursday, July 20, 2006

Starting a conversation - and sharing the gospel...

Last month we were on the road traveling. I’ve been needing to write out some details of an exciting opportunity the Lord gave me – and I finally have a few minutes.

We were in a large city in Colorado for a conference. One evening we had some time after the conference, and we met up with another family at a restaurant for dinner. The adults sat at one table, and the children sat at another long table/booth area nearby (there weren’t enough seats for us all to be together).

As the meal was about over, I got up to go chat with some of the children and see how they were doing. I noticed an older gentleman had sat down near them – but was eating alone. I went over near him, but started by chatting with the children a bit about the meal. I then turned to him and said that I hoped the children hadn’t bothered him at all. He said they hadn’t.

I chatted with him a little about the area, and us being from out of town. We talked about the restaurant a bit, and then I gave him a few gospel tracts, and we started talking through the “good person test” – he was very open and interested. Turns out, he’s been a nominal Catholic all his life. Yet after going through the commandments (and acknowledging guilt), he admitted that he was headed for hell! I was able to share the gospel with him – and spent about 15-20 minutes sitting and talking.

When we were wrapping up the conversation, he said he believed God had sent me to talk with him that evening. I agreed, and said I felt the Lord was working in his heart and trying to get his attention. I encouraged him to get right with God before it is too late – as this could be the last time God tried to get his attention (Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man…). He again thanked me for sharing, and I headed back to the “adults” table to rejoin the conversation.

I was reminded, once again, of how important it is to ALWAYS be seeking to start conversations with strangers. Not every conversation will turn into an opportunity to share the gospel. But, by starting a conversation, one at least has A CHANCE to possibly share the gospel – whereas, by NOT starting a conversation, there is NO CHANCE at all to share the gospel.

No comments: