Thursday, July 27, 2006

Passing out some tracts…

I haven’t had a tremendous amount of opportunities to share the gospel lately (although, that does bring up the issue of “am I waiting for opportunities to fall in my lap or am I out making opportunities?”)… I’ve been quite busy with work, and haven’t been out and about much.

The times that I have been out I’ve usually remembered to carry tracts.

I needed to replace my bicycle tires and inner tubes, and had ordered the needed parts online. I then proceeded to spend three hours one evening trying to put the new tube and tire onto my bike. I have never had such a tight tire! I even broke a plastic tire iron trying to get the tire on. I then figured I would take it down to the bike store and see if they could do it. Not a problem – they said – and it’ll only cost $4 a tire! What a bargain… I dropped off the two tires on a Saturday. On Mondy afternoon I called, and they said the tires would be ready in ten minutes. I gave them closer to thirty, and when I showed up they were fighting them. It took two technicians an hour to get the two tires changed. They stuck by their estimate and were only going to charge me $8 – but I gave them $20. (how does this relate to the gospel?!?) After paying them the $20, I asked the fellow at the register if he ever been given a million dollar bill before. He said he hadn’t – but was very interested in one. I gave it to him – along with another gospel tract – and he was very grateful.

I walked out of the store and got in my car. In front of my car, sitting on bench in the shade, was a fellow with a cane. I grabbed four tracts and went over to him. I asked if he’d like something to read and gave him the tracts. He said “thanks”. I told him they were gospel tracts from the Bible, and weren’t weird or from a cult. He thanked me again and started reading them as I drove off.

I have to continually challenge/remind myself of the importance of passing out tracts during routine errands. It is very easy to give out tracts to a number of people while running errands. And yet, it is far more comfortable to NOT give out tracts, and to NOT risk rejection (it is definitely not pleasant when the checkout person tells you - and everyone else backed up in the line - that they don't want your tract). However, if all believers were to pass out a few tracts every time they are out of their house and running errands - think of how many people would hear/read the Gospel message?

No comments: