Sunday, June 28, 2009

Guess I better start going to church...

A while back I was on the phone with an insurance representative talking about house insurance. At the end of the phone call I asked him if he had ever heard of or taken the good person test – he had no idea. So, we started through it. Of course he felt like he was a good person, and yet he readily acknowledged that he lied, stolen, blasphemed, although he had never committed murder or adultery (yet he had lusted).

When I asked him if God was to judge him based on the 10 commandments if he would be innocent or guilty, he was a bit hesitant to acknowledge guilt. When I asked him whether he felt he would spend an eternity in heaven or hell he hedged even more, eventually saying that if that's how God decides, then it would be hell.

He went on and said, "I guess I had better start going to church." While I was happy for the opportunity to share with him my heart was grieved that he would think the solution to his problem was simply to begin attending some church. People have so confused religion with a relationship with Jesus Christ. It's something I want to constantly be on guard in my own heart: pursuing a religion and not living for my Savior.

I spent the next while sharing with him the different between religion and a relationship with Jesus. The futility of religion (the Jews and Pharisees had a great religion going when Jesus came to earth). We talked about true, Biblical salvation, and I shared with him the story about my grandfather's car wreck and how he subsequently paid the fine for the guilty driver. At the end I asked if he had a Bible at his house (he did) and I encouraged him to read the book of John to learn more about what Jesus did for him.

And now I wonder: has the Lord done anything in his heart? Has he picked up his Bible and spent any time reading? Was our conversation forgotten minutes after it was done? May the Holy Spirit strive with him (Genesis 6:3) and convict him of sin, righteousness, and judgment (

John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me:
for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

No comments: