Monday, January 12, 2009

What the ***** do you want!?!

The other day we were at a nursing home to conduct a worship service. We know a number of the residents who enjoy coming to worship. We also try to meet all of the new residents and invite them as well. Sometimes they'll never come to worship but we're still able to build a friendship with them; we have to keep in mind that our goal is to share the gospel, not simply get people to come to church.

Back to my story… I was checking on a resident to see if he wanted to come to worship. He was asleep in his wheelchair and didn't wake up even when I called his name. Since he hasn't come the past few times, I didn't think it was worth waking him up to invite him.

As I was leaving the room I noticed his roommate, who was in bed, was awake and looking towards me. I knew his name was "Herman" from the sign on the door (and I think I had invited him to church a few weeks prior), and so I stepped over towards his bed.

With a low voice he kinda spat out, "What the **** do you want!?!"

I responded, "Hi Herman, we're here for worship this morning and I was checking on Mr. S. to see if wanted to come to church. We'd love to have you join us as well, but I noticed you're in bed and perhaps not feeling too well today."

His response was, "Oh, well, I think I would have enjoyed coming to church…"

Turns out he was cold, and so I was able to get another blanket for him.

I was laughing a bit as I left his room. I'd never really been "greeted" like that before, and was really surprised that he would then express some interest in joining us for worship!

1 comment:

Rand said...

That's the standard greeting we get in the market during our weekly preaching endeavour!

LOL