Monday, November 17, 2008

Oh, Canada

It’s been quite some time since I posted. As of late I’ve been sharing more on a different blog… Unfortunately, the other blog is not anonymous, and I cannot link to it or link from it back to this one. And, since this is basically my personal witnessing journal I’ll keep adding to it when I have time and an interesting encounter to document.

In addition, we recently added another level of protection to our internet access, and for quite some time it was partially blocking access to Blogger.

I recently spent more than a month traveling, and a portion of that time was spent in Canada. Several things struck me as we were up North:
- How sparsely populated so much of Canada seems
- How many old, small, church buildings I saw
- How little interest in the Lord Jesus Christ there seemed to be

I met some fascinating Canadians...

One was a young lady who was working as a hotel clerk. The hotel had a fancy bus with an expensive political “wrap” parked in the parking lot. We figured the politician was a national politician because the local politicians wouldn’t have the resources for such a nice campaign bus or fancy artwork.

We didn’t recognize the politicians name or the abbreviation for the political party – but I did see a newspaper inside the hotel lobby with the man’s photo in a debate for Prime Minister (so we were right that it was a national figure). After I had finished sending/receiving e-mail (have to keep up with work on the road) I asked the hotel clerk if she knew which political party the candidate was a member of. She had no idea.

I asked her what the political party initials “NDP” stood for (we knew it didn’t stand for the Liberal Party, or the Conservative Party, or the Green Party – my guess is that the N stood for New and the P for Party – but we weren’t sure of the D). She had no idea! She said she knew nothing about politics.

I asked her how old she was (you can’t do this with older women, but young people are generally OK with it) and said I assumed she was old enough to vote? She said she was 20, and she was planning on voting.

I asked her if she knew the various candidates for Prime Minister and what they believed about various issues. She had no idea.

I asked her how she would know who to vote for. She shrugged her shoulders.

I eventually shared some tracts with her and encouraged her to read them. I told her she can get through life OK without knowing anything about politics but that issues of heaven and hell had to be dealt with before death, or the consequences would be tragic.

1 comment:

Rand said...

Wish we could have met while you were in my neck of the woods. Your observations about Canada's spiritual and social apathy are quite accurate. This is how it is in the Northern Kingdom, I'm afraid.

I'll keep working at being the Elisha of the Great White North.

Heh heh...