Wednesday, May 07, 2008

You Should Join our Evangelism Team!

I received a bank statement in the mail today – from a bank which was supposed to have closed my account. The account has $0 in it!

I called the 800# and pressed the option to “close an account”. Almost immediately a very helpful lady came on the line and asked what she could do to assist me. I made a comment about this being the queue for closing accounts and that she probably had an idea what I was wanting to do; she laughed and agreed.

I answered what seemed like 21 questions to confirm my identity and then we talked about closing the account. That process only took a few minutes.

Afterwards she asked me the typical question, “Is there anything else I can do to help you?”

My answer was this, “Actually, you’ve taken care of all the banking issues. But, if you have a minute before the next call comes in I’d like to ask you another, different, question.”

She said, “Absolutely, go ahead.”

She had never heard of or taken the Good Person test – so we started into it. She said she was a good person. She readily admitted to having lied in the past but wouldn’t admit to having ever stolen anything (perhaps because she’s working at a bank and the call may have been recorded??).

At one point she interjected that we aren’t supposed to judge – I said Matthew 7 says we are not to judge lest we be judged, but that Jesus clearly said, “Judge righteous judgment.” I also said that was a bit off topic and we needed to get back to the test…

She admitted to blasphemy. I briefly touched on murder and adultery of the heart – and moved on to summarize everything because I wasn’t sure how open she was to the gospel (especially after the "judge" comment).

When I asked her if she were to die and God judged her based on His 10 commandments if she would be innocent or guilty, she said she would be guilty – but that he is a loving and forgiving God.

I asked if she would spend an eternity in heaven or hell and she said that she asks God to forgive her every day and she’ll spend an eternity with Him.

I started sharing the gospel with her and sought to clarify that asking forgiveness is not what the Bible says results in a person “being born again”. I drew some analogies with our legal system.

I asked if she had a Bible and she said she had one right by her on her desk, and that she reads it all the time.

She then said, “You should be on our evangelism team!”

That caught me off guard and said, “Oh, really, so what do you do on your evangelism team?”

Her response was that they go around and share the gospel with people.

My prayer is that she is clearly presenting the true gospel and that she has been Biblically born again!

No comments: