Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"Discover" Credit Cards

It’s been awhile since I’ve taken time to post… Lately I’ve been able to share the gospel on the phone with a number of people.

At 8:30 p.m. on Friday night my business phone line rang. Caller ID showed an unidentified toll-free number. I suspected it was a telemarketer and was surprised they were calling a business so late in the day. I went ahead and answered the phone.

It was a lady with Discover Credit Card calling to see if they could get us signed up for a credit card. I asked some questions about the credit cards (a few of which she didn’t really know the answer to).

We only talked about credit cards for about two minutes and I said I would save the information in a file and, if we ever were interested in a Discover card, I would call back.

I then said I had asked a lot of questions about the credit cards but I now had a slightly different question for her – if she had a minute before she needed to make her next call. She was available and wondered what I wanted to know.

I asked if she had ever heard of or taken the Good Person test before. She hadn’t heard of it and hadn’t ever taken it.

I said that it only took a few minutes, that everyone should take it at some point in their life, and that there is a “moral” at the end…

She felt she was a good person, despite the fact that I found out she was a lying, thieving, blasphemer. When I said we could look at one more commandment and let her choose between murder and adultery, she chose adultery (most people choose “murder”). While she hadn’t outright broken the commandment, when I shared what Jesus said in Matthew 5:
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

She said “I figured that was where you were headed” – and she readily acknowledged having broken the commandment in spirit.

When I asked her if God were to judge her (once she dies) based on His 10 commandments whether she would be innocent or guilty, she said “guilty”. When I asked where she thought she would spend an eternity, she said “Hell”.

I then had some time to share the gospel with her.

She had interacted with great interest up until a few minutes of sharing the gospel when she seemed to suddenly become very cold.

The entire time I had been sharing with her (and even before that when we were talking about credit cards!) I had been praying the Holy Spirit would be working in her heart/life – and it seemed she was very open. I wonder if perhaps her manager had walked by or was listening in on the call?

Either way I encouraged her to be reading her Bible in the book of John, where we learn more of what Jesus did for her so that she doesn’t have to spend an eternity suffering in hell for her sin.

I’m continuing to pray for her -- that she will come to place her faith in Jesus as her Savior.

No comments: