Monday, October 23, 2006

A Christian Headed for Hell??

We had a weekend ministry trip last week. Before leaving on the trip, I needed to activate a data package for my cell phone. At the end of the customer service phone call, the rep asked me if there was anything else she could help me with.

I said that there was – but that it wasn’t related to the cell phone - - - did she have just a minute for another question? She said she did.

I asked her if she had ever taken the good person test – she hadn’t. But, after I asked, she said that she considers herself to be a good person. We then took a look at the ten commandments, and she readily admitted breaking the ones we discussed (lying, stealing, blasphemy, and murder of the heart).

When I, with a heart of compassion (because I’m guilty of these same crimes before God), summarized her condition before God (that God would see her as a lying, thieving, blasphemous, murderer at heart), she agreed with me.

I asked her if she were to die, and God judged her by His 10 commandments, as He says He will, would she be innocent or guilty. She said she’d be guilty (as would everyone, I said – because we’ve ALL broken His commandments).

I then asked if she would go to heaven or hell. She paused for a second, and said, “hell.”

I asked her if that concerned her, and she said it did.

Over the next ten minutes I shared the gospel with her and discussed what the Lord Jesus did for her – and what she must do in order to receive His gift (simply knowing about Jesus isn’t good enough – in the same way that knowing a parachute would save you does a person no good as they jump out of a plane – they must actually strap the parachute on!). As we talked, I found out that she not only attends church, but she reads her Bible daily (THAT was amazing!), and is attending a “Purpose Driven Life” Bible Study.

Here is a lady attending a Purpose Driven Life Bible Study that readily admitted she is heading for hell! How could this be?!?

I encouraged her to instead begin studying the book of John and to seek to learn as much as she can about Jesus, and what He has done for her, and what He requires of her. I encouraged her to seek after Jesus until she can say “I know I am headed for heaven – because of what Jesus has done for me.”

She was grateful I shared with her, and I was grateful the Lord opened the door for me to share.

No comments: