Saturday, March 11, 2006

Another Trip to the Mission

Went to the rescue mission in the nearby large city this afternoon. We helped with a church service, and also did some music.

As we were unloading the van at the mission, I noticed an older gentleman sitting across the street with a crutch. I play the upright acoustic bass and was holding that, but I went across the street to talk with him. I asked how he injured himself and found out his back had problems – and that a few days before he hadn’t even been able to walk at all. He asked about my instrument, and I shared what it was, what it was for, and invited him in to the service. He declined, as he was waiting for friends to pick him up (interestingly enough, when we left, he was still out side but in a different location).

I gave him a tract (Ticket to Heaven) which he was receptive to, so I started into the good person test with him. He was open and interested as we discussed the different commandments. He admitted breaking them, and was quick to come up with the proper terms (“liar”, and “thief”). After summarizing his condition before God, he admitted he would be guilty of breaking them, that he would likely spend an eternity in hell, and that it concerned him. I was able to share the gospel with him, and he was open and listened for several minutes. He was familiar with the gospel (he has likely attended church before) – so I wondered if his heart was somewhat hardened to it (something like “Oh, I’ve heard that before”).

Inside, the group of men seemed a bit colder than usual. After the service, I was a bit disappointed with the conversations (especially considering the last time I was there I had been able to share the gospel with three men who were very receptive!).

I was able to give out a few “ten commandment pennies” (and the accompanying tract that explains it), but the conversations weren’t going anywhere. A fellow at a nearby table called me over, said he knew more about the Bible than I, and started asking questions. It became VERY obvious, VERY quickly, that his favorite verses are ones that are out of context, misapplied, and misunderstood.

He believed that Paul, when he said that he becomes ‘as those without the law in order to win those without the law’ – he feels Paul wasn’t talking about the ceremonial Jewish law, but rather the law of God (do not murder, do not steal, do not commit adultery). He also believed that when Paul said in Romans 7 that he does the things he doesn’t want to do, and doesn’t do the things he wants to do, that Paul was admitting to having committed adultery and fornication numerous times (since Paul had used the analogy of marriage at the beginning of the chapter to illustrate how the law has power over a person while they are alive to the law).

I shared with him regarding his interpretation of those Scriptures, but he was so focused on using grace as an occasion for the flesh and to justify and excuse his sin, that he wasn’t open.

The liberty we are called to, is liberty from sin and from the ceremonial law – NOT freedom to commit sin!

Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Eventually, when he saw that I wasn’t agreeing with him but was becoming more direct in discussing salvation and his need for Jesus, he got up and left.

I also had an opportunity to meet the most angry, bitter, and closed person I have ever met at the shelter. While the men were coming through the line getting their meal, we offered them each a large, homemade cookie, as well as a gospel tract. This one person accepted a cookie but was very upset that I would offer him a tract. He said he was unhappy with having to already hear an hour of that stuff, he didn’t need more, and he believed in freedom of religion (interestingly enough, I believe his actual comment should have been “freedom FROM religion”).

Later, after the meal was over I was walking by as he was throwing his plate and napkin away. I asked him why he came to a Gospel Mission if he was so upset with the gospel message. Instead of responding to my question he again expressed his anger, his frustration at having to listen to an hour of stuff he didn’t agree with, and even how he hated our superior “better than others” belief. I said that was not true, and said to the contrary, we believe we are ALL sinners (and such a statement had been made several times during the message!). He didn’t want to hear it and simply said I could do him a big favor by leaving him alone – at which point he turned and walked away.

My heart was saddened by someone with so much obvious anger and bitterness. I would have love to have heard his story – but he wouldn’t consider talking with me because he wouldn’t have wanted me to share anything with him. I’m praying the Holy Spirit will work in his heart, as he is obviously at a point in his life where he has many needs.

No comments: