Sunday, August 03, 2008

Car Pushin'

Last week I was out with one of my younger brothers for lunch. As we finished lunch I noticed that a car had become stuck on the curb in the parking lot (the young driver had turned too sharp and had put a tire up over the curb into the grass/dirt and couldn’t roll forward over the curb forward, or get enough traction to back up over the curb). It looked like the car could easily be pushed back the way it came (the pushing providing the needed traction), so I suggested we go out and see if we could help.

By the time we were there two of her friends had showed up. Four of them and two of us. Six people (although, only three of us were men). One car. One curb. Should be easy.

The car was in neutral, so we tried (once) pushing. It didn’t budge. I couldn’t figure out why the engine wasn’t running and they weren’t backing it up so I asked her about it. Turns out they were all a bit flustered because of the incident, and the "flustration" appeared to be exasperated by the fact that the car that belonged to a parent. To them, it was as if they had been involved in a significant car wreck and were going to need a tow truck.

Once I got her to start the car I made sure it was put into reverse. I told her to try and back up as we pushed. The car immediately backed right off of and over the curb – back to the pavement where it belonged – requiring practically no pushing effort at all.

They were all extremely grateful for the help (not that my brother and I really did anything), and I took the opportunity to leave them with a few gospel tracts.

It was a reminder to me in several ways:
1. Make sure to carry a number of tracts at all times. I only had two tracts in my pocket. There were four of them. I could have easily given them all one tract each.
2. Seek ways to help those that have a need. The Lord can use those opportunities to open doors to share the gospel. Granted, I didn’t end up spending time sharing directly, but because we took a moment to help with the car they were very receptive to the tract.

I’m definitely guilty of not seeking opportunities to help those in need. May I instead have a heart that is more focused on others than myself! May I remember that one of the reasons why God created me was so that I would be doing good for others: my purpose here on earth is not to serve myself.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

2 comments:

Rand said...

The Lord bless you, dear friend.

May He cause you to be a soul-winner for His honor and glory!

Your brother-in-Christ,

Rand

BiblicalFirst said...

While I havn't been here in a while, I want to just mention that your testimony of the Lord's work in your life has really blessed me.

So timely!

Gratefully, Nathanael