Sunday, September 16, 2007

To the Mormon that posted a comment…

Thank you for stopping by my blog (even though it was just for a minute – and even though it was likely with ulterior motives). As you know, the comment you left was short and perhaps a little flattering, but I had to delete it because it included a link to your blog. While your blog does include the name “Jesus” in it, the Jesus you are referring to is completely different than the Jesus that I preach and share…

I would encourage you to spend even more time than you hopefully already do in the Bible. You are no doubt familiar with Jesus’ command to us that we are to be perfect, just as our Father in Heaven is perfect (Matthew 5:48). If you read Luke 10, you’ll see that Jesus, while talking with a teacher of the law, told him that, in order to avoid “outer darkness” (Jesus didn’t use that exact term, but “outer darkness” and eternal death/torment is the opposite of eternal life and heaven) he had to love God with all his heart and his neighbor as himself – and that sounds like perfection to me.

I know that I am not perfect. Which means that even if I were to live perfectly from this point on for the rest of my life, it would already be too late for me as I have already committed “crimes” against God. (although, yes, even though my sins are forgiven I do strive to live as Jesus would have me)

I wonder how you will ever be able to achieve perfection? What a tremendously heavy burden to bear. How hard it would be to live a perfect life – to have never told a lie (hopefully you haven’t already told one, because, anyone that has told one lie has become a liar), or stolen something from someone (especially easy to do when we are young), and have never wanted something that belongs to someone else (which is – obviously – coveting).

I encourage you to examine your life and see whether you are perfect – or whether you have committed one of the crimes that is listed in Revelation 21:8:
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
The lake which burneth with fire and brimstone (which is the second death) is not someplace where you would want to spend eternity – and these are not my words – but God’s Word.

1 comment:

Rand said...

Well done, and well said brother.

God bless you,

Rand