Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Gospel of John as a tract...

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but today I was out running errands and when I was grabbing tracts to take with me, I only happened to have million dollar bills and gospels of John on my desk.

Finding good tracts can be hard, and while a well written gospel tract can be very effective, I believe it’s hard to do better than the actual Word of God.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it SHALL accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (emphasis and CAPS added)

When checking out at a store today I asked the lady if I had ever given her a million dollar bill before (I didn’t think I had as she looked unfamiliar to me). She said I hadn’t – but was very interested in one. I asked if she liked to read things, and she said she did. I gave her a Gospel of John with a million dollar bill in it as a book mark. She was actually grateful for them and thanked me. While one cannot base the workings of the Spirit and the success of sharing the gospel on how someone first responds to the Word, it was a blessing to have her accept them!

As I’ve posted earlier, I ordered my Gospel of John’s from the Pocket Testament League (www.pocketpower.org). I don’t care for most of the covers they have because they make the Word of God to look like some little religious pamphlet that a cult would be handing out. I went with the plainer cover that shows loaves of bread and is titled “Bread of Life.” They send out the gospels for free, but ask for a donation to cover their shipping costs, and obviously they appreciate donations to cover the printing costs as well.

If you decide to join the Pocket Testament League, I guess there is a way to put in a “referral” or “member” number – so you could put mine in (224553). Supposedly, there is a way that you can see how many gospels you’ve given away on the site, and if other people join using your referral number, you can see how many THEY have given away. I tried checking the site once to see if I could find those stats, but didn’t notice them… But, it would be an encouraging way to see how God might be using the gospels that were handed out to encourage others to do the same.

1 comment:

Rileysowner said...

Thank-you for this. I signed up, but did not use your referral number, however, I wanted you to know that because of your post, I now have another way to spread the gospel of Christ.