Friday, April 07, 2006

Fishing at the Pond

This past week the Lord has dealt with me regarding some sin that had been in my heart. I had several people that I needed to set things right with. While driving back from my last appointment, I passed a little pond in our town, and saw a fellow out fishing. The thought crossed my mind that I should pull over, walk through the grass, and see if I could share the Lord with him. I instantly dismissed the thought as I needed to get home and back to work, but also realized that the thought was likely from the Lord (I doubt it was Satan giving me such an idea) and, hence, was important to obey. I pulled off, parked, put some tracts in one pocket and a Bible in the other, and set out. Since this was the fourth day of my fast, and I had already been out all morning, I was a bit light headed and feeling fairly sick.

I walked over to the fellow, and prayed for the Spirit's continued working in my heart and in the heart of the gentleman. The conversation started off easily enough in talking about the fish and the pond. He had caught a few small perch. He had been in town only about 9 months so doesn't know how much fish are usually stocked in the pond. I mentioned that the pond is next to the nursing home where our church meets (first mention of something relating to the Lord to see how he responded).

After we finished talking about fish, I pulled out a million dollar bill and asked if he had ever gotten one of them. He hadn't. I mentioned that the back of the bill was a gospel tract. He wondered what church we attended, and so we talked churches for a few minutes (he attends a different church in town). I shared that the tracts aren't about a church, but about dealing with sin and our eternity.

I found out his name was John.

I was able to share some of my testimony with him, and how the Lord wants everything from us - not just lip service. As we talked further, he opened up and shared more and more about his background. Turns out his struggle is with alcohol, and he had gotten drunk the previous night, been rude to his wife that morning, was practically out of money, behind on his bills, had two small children, and was out fishing to try and clear his mind.

As we talked there were several times the conversation could easily have come to a conclusion, but it continued. His background was a difficult one, and included being jailed in the 90's for murder. He shared that the real murderer had turned state's witness and as a result was never prosecuted. John said that he only had a Public Defender, and that the trial was a long ordeal. He feels he was close to God while in jail – but went right back to the way he was when we he was released. In fact, he said the real murderer was the one who gave him a ride home from jail. He readily agreed that it is easy to act like a hypocrite – and that the heart has to be changed.

Now, he is here in our town, with no job and pretty much out of money. He’s done some odd jobs for his pastor and the pastor’s son-in-law and family, but those jobs are coming to an end. I encouraged him to be willing to give everything up and surrender to the Lord. But I also encouraged him that it would be a difficult thing for him, as he would probably have to give up those things he loves most: his alcohol, his bitter custody fight for more visitation, his reputation, etc. He agreed that what was the Lord wanted, but I’m not sure he is willing.

Hopefully, the Lord will work mightily in his life as he considers surrendering to the Lord.

No matter what decision John makes, I was tremendously encouraged in obeying the prompting of the Spirit in my life - and was praising the Lord for what He is doing in my life.

No comments: